Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Determination of combustibil sulfur content in sewage sludge
Authors: Nicolescu, Ileana 
Stanescu, Bogdan 
Serbanescu, Agnes 
Barbu, Mona 
Catrina, Gina Alina 
Keywords: Sewage sludge;Incineration;Combustible sulfur;Sulfur in ash
Issue Date: 2018
Large amounts of sewage sludge are produced at waste water treatment plants and its disposal is an environmental problem. In this context and in accordance with the European Commission communication on the role of waste-to-energy in the Circular Economy, one of the objectives of Romania Waste Management-Strategy Plan for municipal waste, is incineration of the solid waste in dedicated incinerators, with energy recovery. When the incineration of the sewage sludge with energy recovery is chosen as the final path of disposal, the optimal energy gain, have to be correlated with the limits provided of the legislation in force for the air pollution emissions and with the quantities of the waste which must be minimized. The presence of sulfur in sewage sludge has significant implications in incineration processes, due to its transformation at high temperature into SO2 which is released into the atmosphere, and on the other hand, there is a risk of high-temperature corrosion of the pipes and pumps, depending of the molar ratio 2S/Cl. The paper presents a study on the determination of the technological forms of sulfur and total sulfur in sewage sludge to be incinerated. The results obtained show that the total sulfur is mostly represented by the combustible sulfur which is in a proportion of about 88% and the rest of about 12 % is the sulfur remaining in the ash.
18th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2018, 30 june-09 july, 2018, Albena, Bulgaria, pp. 41 - 48.
ISSN: 1314-2704;
Appears in Collections:Conference Papers

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat
SGEM_2018_IN.pdf3.23 MBAdobe PDFView/Open
Show full item record

Google ScholarTM


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.